Sunday 10 June 2012

INTERVIEW: Sophia Banoori talks to Vainzine

Fashion Journalist, consultant and designer Sophia Banoori (@SophiaBanoori) took some time out to talk to Vainzine about music, fashion and Paris. Sophia is a contributor at Vogue.fr & Haute Muse magazine.

VZ: Tell us a little bit about yourself, what you do how you came to be interested in Fashion and work in Paris?

SB: I'm a young fashion journalist working with online publications such as Vogue.fr, Fashionwiredaily.com and Haute Muse magazine. I've always been a very creative person, when I was younger I spent all my time drawing and painted. Then in my early teens developed a certain fascination with fashion magazines, & the editorial work, the inspiration, all the far-fetched ideas and how it was always so incredibly put together by such gifted people. I grew up to have a very fond appreciation of Haute Couture, and applied to the prestigious Instituto Marangoni school in Paris, where I obtained my Fashion Design degree, and was selected to participate in the Graduate Fashion Week in Paris. You can view my fashion show and creations here:



Since I have been working as a fashion journalist, and keep designing on the side.

VZ: Are you Parisian or did you move here from another part of France or abroad?

SB: I am French/ American, and have been living in Paris for almost 4 years now. I previously lived in Kuwait for a long time.

VZ: What do you think of the Paris Music scene right now?

SB: I really appreciate the Parisian Music scene, there's always a lot happening, always new artists to discover. I really enjoy going to concerts, with a preference for indie/rock bands like Foster The People who I have seen several times in the last year. I love going to see smaller bands like Neon Indian and Owl City play, Arcade Fire, the XX.... and am always extremely interested to find discover the opening act, and usually look up their music as soon as I get home. I am going to see The Gossip tonight, and I've just purchased my tickets for the Jay-Z and Kanye Watch The Throne concert on the 1st of June. I'm very excited!

VZ: What, if any are your favourite venues to hear new music in Paris?

SB: My favorite places to check out new music would be The Bataclan, La Cigale & le Zebre de Belleville. I also discover new artists at a lot of the parties, fashion shows, and events during Paris Fashion Week, such as British sensation Azealia Banks, at the Chanel dinner last March, and she also performed at the Kanye West after-party. She's a great performer, and I have been listening to her music since.

VZ: What are your top 5 favourite albums of 2012 so far?

SB: They would have to be "Strangeland" by Keane, "Born to die" by Lana Del Rey, "Picture show" by Neon Trees, "California 37" by Train, "Stars & Stories" by The Fray. And I simply cannot wait for John Mayer's "Born and Raised" album!



VZ: What are you favourite singles or favourite song of 2012?

SB: "Somebody that I used to know" by Gotye feat Kimbra, "Paradise" by Coldplay, "Take Care" by Drake feat Rihanna.



VZ: What is your favourite song and/ or album of all time?

SB: Song would probably be "Wet Sand" by Red Hot Chilli Peppers, and favorite albums would have to be "The Dark side of the moon" by Pink Floyd, " "My beautiful dark twisted fantasy" by Kanye West, "Californication" and "Stadium Arcadium" by Red Hot Chilli Peppers, "Heavier Things" by John Mayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...