Monday 6 December 2010

ALBUM REVIEW: V/A 'Jon Savage Presents Black Hole' out now on Domino

This is JS's second compilation for Domino and it's just as well researched, compiled and programmed as the first one called 'Dreams Come True Classic First Wave Electro 1982-87'. Check it out on the Domino website. That being said, the full title of this one is 'Black Hole Californian Punk 1977-80'. So a different kettle of fish from the first one and a lot more music to listen to with a 26 song tracklist!

Know much about punk during this period? Nope I sure didn't and chances are you probably won't either. So this is a history lesson and musical trip as well as a heavily researched (there's that word again) retrospective which really nailed something I knew nothing about and gave me a clear insight into what was going on at that time. I would like to draw your attention to another worthy addition to this compilation; the sleeve notes. Not only do we have a great musical experience to listen to but Savage takes us through the period too with some insights as to what was going on behind the scenes that I wont spoil for you - you'll just have to get  a copy.

26 tracks means there is something for everyone - so long as you like punk - but it was hard for me to make a decisive choice as to my out and out favourite song (I had not heard any of them before) but I really dig Anti,Anti,Anti by The Consumers. Kinda relate to this right now just feel right with all the raw anger and agression and disillusionment with the ways things are going.

5/5


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...