Tuesday 17 January 2012

ALBUM REVIEW: Cloud Nothings 'Attack On Memory' out 23 January On Carpark / Wichita

Weasely vocals aside I truly love CN's sophomore album. Despite the opener and uber grunge homage 'No Future No Past' which is still my favourite song, if you are expecting a grunge fest take your buck and go elsewhere. Lead singer Dylan Baldi really needs to work on his vocals. They sound stretched to the limit and are unpleasant at times to listen to, especially on an otherwise flawless indie song 'Wasted Days'. There are other examples but I don't want to be overly harsh. Dylan is very young and I'm sure his voice will develop with time. I truly hope it does. He should see a vocal coach.

This is great Indie music. The album was produced by Steve Albini and it shows. It's also very well programmed. Another favourite is the superb Maximo Park- esque 'Separation'. Whilst I love this album with my heart, my Head says that this effort is nothing special - rather slightly above average well put together mid card indie, with a touch of Over hype. Talented musician with a promising future. My heart sings with joy as I listen and get caught up in the moment to the aptly named 'Fall In' that exudes thrashy, exciting, young raw energy from a special, gifted historically aware band. Heart or Head? For me it's all about the love baby.

7/10

CTZN V41N

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...