Friday 9 September 2011

EP REVIEW: The Caligaris 'Neon Light'

The cover art on this 4 track EP depicts a scene on a rainy night on the Paris equivalent to London's M25 called the Peripherique. If you have ever had the misfortune to travel on this particular road then you will know that it's often rare to get above pedestrian speeds due to density of traffic competing for what is essentially a finite amount of road space. Stay with me people I'm getting to the point, and the point is unfortunately for the Caligaris, a problem.

Firstly when you are competing in a crowded market, in the Caligaris' case the Indie pop scene, then you are really going to have to do something special to stand out from the crowd. Being a talented musician or singer is not going to cut it. Now I haven't seen them live so can't comment on their shows but the EP Neon Light - first mistake being an overused and unoriginal name for EP - left a lot to be desired.

The lead singer Nicolas Belloin does a good impression of Morissey on opener 'Mr Nobody' and nearly hit's the British accent perfectly but if you listen closely you can still tell. If I want to listen to Morrisey I will just listen to him not an impersonation no matter how good. The second problem is the sound. Although the band are tight it's just a sound I've heard a million times before and does sound dated.

Does that mean I don't like it? No, actually I did rather enjoy the 4 track EP but it didn't stick in the memory banks and nothing stood out enough to make me want to listen a 3rd time so who knows what the future will herald for this Parisian band but they are gonna have to step it up to survive in an international market place, and I hope they do, and that they can make it on the tough road ahead.

3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...