Wednesday 26 May 2010

GIG REVIEW: Built To Spill @ 02 Shepherd's Bush Empire 19/05/2010

Ever heard of Built to Spill? If not where have you been for the past 20 years? Like me you probably would’ve been busying yourself with early 90's Alt Rock acts such as Sonic Youth, Meat Puppets, Pixies , Dinosaur Jr and the like, with Built to Spill sadly slipping noisily under your radar.

With bands such as the Strokes, Modest Mouse and Death Cab for Cutie citing BTS as a major influence I was expecting big things as I Alt. rocked up to the Shepherds Bush Empire, London to see them support Dinosaur Jr. I am glad to say they did not disappoint. After a somewhat slow start they picked up the pace and belted out some great rocking tunes, barely acknowledging the audience throughout the gig except to offer a gracious thank you to the rapturous reception they got from the crowd when they finished. One of the tightest musical bands I’ve seen there was never a note dropped and it left me wondering how I managed to miss out on these guys for so long. I will definitely be looking to proffer an ear to some of their back catalogue.

Oh and Dinosaur Jr. were pretty good too by the way!!

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...